Hi I'm new!

Introduce yourself to the community - we're so glad to have you here!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Hi I'm new!

Postby MJunderhill » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:17 am

Hey! So my mid-life crisis turned not only into re-living my childhood by buying toys, but I'm also teaching myself to repair and replicate them now. Since I aquire duplicate and sometimes triplicate items from buying toys to complete my collection I relist what I aready have on eBay. If it is missing pieces and I'm inclined I sculpt replicas for practice and inclued them in my listings. I try to list eveything for less then other sellers. I'm not trying to make money but rather get back some of what I paid for the lot of toys just to get that one item. Check out my:
https://www.instagram.com/mjunderhill14/
http://www.ebay.com/usr/takenflight
http://mjunderhill.tumblr.com
https://www.facebook.com/mj.underhill.7
I also started youtube but i don't know about it since I'm camera shy. Perhaps after I sell off my duplicates I'll start making videos of what I'm making and how. I don't know. I'm always up to making new friends and hearing imput, suggestions, and, even critisism in a constant quest to improve my skills.
MJunderhill

Re: Hi I'm new!

Postby jeapos88 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:31 am

Welcome! I saw your sculpted items on eBay the other day and thought they were very well done, you can hardly tell that they're not original!
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Postby MJunderhill » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 am

Thanks! I personally see flaws but I am getting better the more I practice. I'm trying to find a clay that is more durable when making larger items. The polymer clay tends to crack when making larger items. I just couldn't bear to disgaurd toys just because they were missing parts. I started buying toys for my own collection and sometimes it comes with items I already have. I only list stuff I hand sculpted in it's own listing if I feel it has been perfected. The actual duplicate toys I sell that have replicas in them are listed for less then what most sellers charge for a similar item with missing pieces. I just include replicas because I don't need them and I make them to practice and because art is my hobby. Plus I don't care about making back the total price fron the stuff I bought since I kept some items for myself. I just figure getting back a little will help expand both my collection and the quality of art supplies I can buy.
P.S. I feel about ferrets the way you feel about cats. lol
MJunderhill

Postby Tosh » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 am

Welcome!! Glad you found the forum! A lot of us are looking for items to complete sets as well, so you might have luck selling some of your extra pieces here too :D
Tosh

Postby MJunderhill » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Yeah! I figured that some of the incomplete sets I have may contain an item that someone needs to complete their sets. It never hurts to share information. And it's nice to know I'm not the only one that loves toys as ann adult!
MJunderhill

Postby jillrose » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
Most Wanted: Purple Silky Kitty; crouching tan EU Ride'n'Slide hamster; Baby Buddies pony and duckling
jillrose

Postby 8Caroline8 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:57 pm

What you are doing is really cool and so well done! I can't believe how close to original it is!
8Caroline8

Postby loves toys » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here and very great job on the replicas! :)
loves toys

Postby phoebemiller » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing more of your work! It's very nice and very close to the originals!
phoebemiller

Postby MJunderhill » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks everyone. It's great to hear the positive feedback. Feel free to check out the websites I'm on to see what I am up to. It's great to get new ideas and hear from people who love this particular toy. I've never been very computer savvy. I've alway had more interest in doing things with my hands. So I'm new to blogs and forums ect. I'd don't log in everyday. However when I do, I will respond if someone tries to get in touch with me.
MJunderhill

Postby Waylah » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 am

I wrote a message but it's not here! I guess it timed out or something and didn't upload. Anyways it was along the lines of this:

Welcome! Great work on those hand-made pieces, especially the butterflies. If you wanted more exact replicas, have you thought about using something like pinkysil? You use it to make a mold of something, then you can use the mold repeatedly to make many casts. For example, you could make lots of food bowls, then paint them the appropriate colours.

I hope you have a great time here and enjoy your new-found love of toys, as we do :)
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Postby MJunderhill » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:31 am

I have thought of molds. However I've been using polymer clay which is sticky. I would have to see if the molds are heat resistant. Also I'm not sure how to prevent the clay from bonding to the mold while it bakes or how to remove it from the mold when it's raw without distorting it. Also I don't own every toy in the line so if somone wants something i don't have. I can't make a mold. I use pictures and the toys on hand for scale to create it. I also fill in the blanks with my imagination. I'm still learning. I have to read more about it. It also will require trial and error. Which is why I throw the replicas is with the toys. I realize they aren't perfect and make them to practice. I figure if I list my duplicate toys for less then what they usually are listed for plus toss in a replica they may sell faster. Not to mention the more I make the better I get
MJunderhill

Postby Waylah » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 pm

The molds are a kind of silicone - they're rubbery, flexible but strong. The stuff you use to make the model using the mold is a kind of resin. You pour it in, and over time it changes from a liquid to a solid. There are lots of useful youtube videos showing it in action. Hmm, thinking about it makes me want to make more. I haven't made molds or casts in ages.

I haven't yet worked out two problems I had - bubbles in the resin (which means missing bits in the final cast), and how to paint them. I had trouble with the paint not sticking. The bubbles problem happened more with some shapes than others. I think the solutions are - a thinner (less viscous) resin, and airbrushing on a thin primer before painting. I don't know what sort of primer to use though. Hmm, I should get back into it.
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Waylah

Postby MJunderhill » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:23 am

I haven't worked with resin a lot. I don't have the patience to wait for it to dry. You want to prevent making bubbles by stiring slowly. Then after you pour, if you notice any tap the mold on the table until they rise to the surface. Then you can pop them. As far as paint not sticking it may depend on the paint. Like I said I haven't worked with it a lot. Also most of the toys are 2 part molds where half is from one mold and the the othe half is from another. Then they are fused together. I'm not sure how to even make two molds that fit together. Another reason I don't care for resin is because it isn't flexible. Unless they have invented something new since the last time I used it. The clay depending on the brand does have flexability similar to the original toy. I pretty much live at hobby lobby so once I sell some of the toys I have duplicates of and have some extra money I will get some new stuff to mess around with. I'll check out the different mold making materials. Maybe they have something that is oven safe.
MJunderhill

Postby jeapos88 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:49 am

I bought some a while back that was given safe. I think it's amazing mold putty, it sets really fast and the molds are flexible, and oven safe.
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Postby MJunderhill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Oh cool. I'll have to look into it. Do you remember the brand?
MJunderhill

Postby Waylah » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:33 am

Two-part molds are easy with silicone; you just cut the mold in half.
Here, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs9SBpday84
If you want a rubbery end product, you can actually pour silicone into your silicone mold to make a rubbery cast; you just have to make sure you spray your mold first so you can get the cast out.

My bubble problem was not resolvable by any amount of tapping or prodding; when little bits of air get trapped in nooks and crannies. The professional solution is to put the whole thing inside a vacuum chamber, but I don't have one on hand ;). (although, I was messing around with one at work today, but I I don't think they'd take kindly to me 'borrowing' it for making toys! :lol: ) The best solution is to just have a very low viscosity resin, but I don't know where to get it yet.

Waylah

Postby MJunderhill » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:43 pm

Haha. Maybe you can't take it home but you can bring the toy to work on your lunch break. What type of spray do you use to prevent sticking.
MJunderhill

Postby Waylah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Mold release, but I haven't used it, because I haven't made any silicone casts. I've just used epoxy, for which you don't need to prep silicone molds. But I haven't made molds or casts of any kind for ages, and all this talk is really making me want to get back into it! I'd need to buy new stuff though ... Had a look yesterday in a craft store but didn't find what I need. I might see if I can buy some PDMS along with the next order at work.

Waylah

Return to Introductions