Removing sticky substances from LPS items

Chat about anything LPS-related!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Removing sticky substances from LPS items

Postby jillrose » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 am

Hi everyone!

My careful packing of my collection when moving had one small drawback: I foolishly thought that I'd be able to remove clear tape from certain items without any sticky residue left behind :?

I unfortunately have gummy residue on my Chirpy Birds' home, as well as on the turtle and mouse tanks. I tried Goo Be Gone on my Marching Mice tank, and too my chagrin, it took the sheen off the plastic and made it cloudy. UGH :(

Does anyone have experience with safely removing sticky-stuff like this? I don't want to start trying different cleaners, only to ruin more pieces. I can replace the mouse tank easily enough, but I'd be devastated if I were to damage my Chirpy Birds since they're much harder to find.

Of note, clear tape left no residue on the actual Pet Shop cases - I had taped them all shut and the tape peeled off just fine. I'm kicking myself for using tape instead of, say rubber bands....hindsight is always 20/20... :|
Last edited by jillrose on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most Wanted: crouching tan EU Ride'n'Slide hamster; Baby Buddies pony
jillrose

Re: Removing stick substances from LPS items

Postby jeapos88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

Try rubbing alcohol, it shouldn't effect the plastic. Or crazy as it sounds, try lighter fluid. We use lighter fluid to remove labels off boxes at work. They just peel right off. Might leave a bit of sticky on there, just repeat till clean.
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Re: Removing sticky substances from LPS items

Postby jillrose » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks!! I think I have both :)
Most Wanted: crouching tan EU Ride'n'Slide hamster; Baby Buddies pony
jillrose

Postby Tosh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:02 pm

I've used rubbing alcohol before, and it worked really well, you could try a little bit on a cue tip or something in a small spot to make sure it won't leave a spot, but that's what I would've suggested also. Let us know!
Tosh

Postby Waylah » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:40 pm

I agree; ethanol and isopropanol are great, just make sure you keep it away from any painted parts; it will take the paint off!! Alcohols are also great for taking pen marks off ANYTHING. Permanent marker is not so permanent if you have ethanol! ;)
I'm not sure what's in goo-be-gone, but with any cleaning product, they have ingredients listed so you can figure out if it will be safe. If you see acetone in the ingredients, KEEP AWAY! DON'T use acetone on plastics. Unless you want to melt the plastic.
For cleaning parts that are painted, I use a little warm water and dish washing detergent (liquid for hand washing, not dishwashers!) with a cotton tip (Q-tip, cotton bud, ear-cleaning-thingy).
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Return to Pet Shop Talk