Packing collection for a move!

Chat about anything LPS-related!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Packing collection for a move!

Postby jillrose » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Okay...so I am not sure if perhaps this should go into Off Topic or not...but...big news! My husband, our pets, and I will be moving from NYC to Miami Beach in just 4 weeks!

I'm in need of suggestions for how to pack my collections (LPS/Baby Buddies of course, plus my Petite Ponyland, My Littles, and Princess of the Flowers). I am more nervous about safely transport I these guys than I am about dishes and vases, lol :lol: What works best? Bubble wrap or tissue paper? Should I invest in divided plastic containers? Eek! So much to think about, and not just this packing dilemma! :)
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Re: Packing collection for a move!

Postby katze016 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:47 pm

When I moved last year I was completely anal about the safety of every little piece of my collection.

I put each set in its own Ziploc bag and any pieces within the set that I was worried about possible paint wear would get wrapped in tissue paper before being placed in the bag. That way the painted details of the pets weren't being rubbed against by any accessories in the set.

Then I strategically packed all of the small sets into the pet shop, kennel, country home, zoo, and style salon cases. If you take out all of the right side shelves in the pet shop cases and place them at the bottom of the case that will give you much more room to work with. I also took the awnings off and placed them inside at the bottom of the case. Then all of the cases packed together nicely into one giant box. I still needed a couple more small boxes for some of the larger sets. Again, I wrapped anything I was concerned about in tissue first before putting them in their own Ziploc bags. Then I used some bubble wrap around those sets since they didn't have a pet shop case to further protect them.

I didn't move cross country like you. My friends and I moved all of my stuff ourselves, so I had complete supervision over the handling of those precious boxes, so I felt pretty confident in my collection making the move unharmed.
My advice, if you're worried about movers handling them, is to pack them directly into your personal vehicle instead of a moving truck...if you have the room.

And congratulations on the big move!!! May I asked what sparked the complete change of scenery?
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby Waylah » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 am

Congrats on your move!! :)

I moved a few months ago. I have my whole collection in big plastic tubs (with lids). Inside the tubs they're just in individual zip lock bags, sometimes with smaller or delicate items inside smaller bags within. The plastic tubs stack, and are rigid, so they can't slide around or get crushed inside a moving van. But I still took the tub with the pony n pet stable separately with me in the car, not the van! Super special or basically irreplaceable things, pet shop or not, should really stay with you at all times during the move.

If things are likely to stay packed for some time, my tips/reminders are:
* keep a record of what sets are packed in which box
* remove batteries from the sledding party and water garden kitties
* wrap the babies of the mommy and babies sets separately - otherwise they will stick to stuff, particularly the baby puppies sticking to their basket paint
* store in a cool dark place. Paper packaging fades FAST if near a window that gets direct sunlight. Plastics yellow, pink goes orange, from light and/or heat.
* wrap the brave German shepherd separately. His paint scuffs off so easily. There are probably others like this but this is the one that came to mind.

Hmm, this is all I can think of right now. Other than this, I found packing is quite easy. They're not going to crack from bumping around a bit like china would; their biggest threat is from being crushed by being in a soft cardboard box at the bottom of a huge stack, hence the plastic tubs for me. I didn't use bubble wrap for anything except my swans, and even then that was overkill, if they're in a solid plastic tub.
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Postby Alie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:01 am

I would pack everything in bubble wrap. And try to store all of it in boxes, wedge at best as a tetris, for no shake... Hahaha
Good luck anyway for your move. :)
Alie

Postby jillrose » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 am

Thanks everyone! Collection gets packed THIS WEEK :shock:

We are moving for a lifestyle change! :) I am going to miss NYC, but beach life is calling! I am keeping my job, and will have a home office. Cannot wait to set up my collection and share new photos :D
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Return to Pet Shop Talk