original forum

View rules and talk about updates with the forum.

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

original forum

Postby sarafina » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm on my phone, so pardon the typing...I heard from misty, and she isn't pleased with the move from her forum. I unlocked it and I believe she is updating the bb code there. I will delete the archive here asap.

So sorry to have overstepped my bounds! I'll type more later!
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Re: original forum

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Wait, I think we need to all have a conversation about this first. I don't think you overstepped at all. And we all voted and agreed. I'm not saying we shouldn't go back or anything. Just that we all should talk about what's best for the group.
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Postby jillrose » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:55 pm

I agree with Joey, I do not think we overstepped considering it was either move or chance losing everything. We haven't been here long; worst case scenario, we move the new-forum posts back over to the original forum, right?

Did everyone else get Misty's message via email regarding the forum? I saw that and immediately thought, uh oh!!
Most Wanted: Purple Silky Kitty; crouching tan EU Ride'n'Slide hamster; Baby Buddies pony and duckling
jillrose

Postby sarafina » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for being so understanding! I really feel badly for having inadvertently stirred up confusion. :( I unlocked the old forum and am open to keeping this place open, tho I dont want to create divisiveness. I'd love to hear ant thoughts our community members have! I'm very sorry for having instigated this confusion - my intention was to help preserve this unique group, but I fear I've complicated things. :(
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Postby twincheckers » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't think any of us did anything "wrong" or anything to feel badly about... we made the best decision based on the facts that we knew at the time....
twincheckers

Postby ibuildabrit » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:22 pm

twincheckers wrote:I don't think any of us did anything "wrong" or anything to feel badly about... we made the best decision based on the facts that we knew at the time....

I agree. No one was trying to cause controversy, we just were trying to save the memberships and the forum. I hope that Misty isn't angry at you sarafina!
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby sarafina » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the supportive words, friends. :) It sounds like she was upset at first - which I understand - but she realized why we made the choice we did & can see where we're coming from. She has been quite gracious about the whole issue, especially considering she does still intend to maintain her forum (which I had assumed she didn't).

For now, I removed my email from her forum's 'admin email' setting (you'll recall that her admin email stopped working, preventing activation emails, etc. from being sent). I also decided to remove myself as a mod there & will see about removing my admin rights there as well - they were granted to me by other mods, mostly because there were problems with registrations, people not getting into the password protected boards, etc., so an extra hand was needed. Since I wasn't added by Misty, I figure it's best to step down from that and stay on as a member there w/o modding. If Misty is planning to be more active as an admin, my relinquishing of those permissions shouldn't be an issue. (That's all my preference - Misty didn't request it, but I do feel that my admin role there was to help out when the owner & other admins were absent or very busy). Hopefully we'll see more of Misty there! My feeling is that with the admin present there, I wouldn't be needed as an admin (too many cooks in the kitchen!). If the admin/owner isn't active there, though, I'd be reluctant to attempt to keep the forum updated again without that support...it's a bit awkward trying to admin without direction.

I hope that makes sense, anyway. Just some thoughts. :)

My other thought would be to keep this forum open but change the name & delete the archive (ack - all that work!). Misty said we're welcome to keep the archive, but I'd feel odd having an archive of a distinctly different forum here (I originally saw it as a continuation or museum of sorts). My hope would be for this forum to complement Misty's in terms of its role in our community - I really don't want to divide us (sigh - my whole goal was to preserve the community & keep us all together - I guess I should've left well-enough alone!)

Hopefully that's possible. I'd love to hear your thoughts! As you can imagine, I felt badly for accidentally causing drama. :( Thanks again for your kindness! You've made me feel so much better.
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm

I only know life at this forum and know how much work goes into maintaining one. I think (at least for now) you can hide the archive boards.

If she's planning on taking a (bigger) role on again, then that is great! however leaving for whatever reasons she had and not knowing how to proceed I feel you did what was in everyones best interests at the time. It's gracious of you to offer to step down but I hope you do it because you are no longer "needed" in that role and not because you feel badly about what has happened.

I'm glad everyone is able to talk about things and remain civil/friendly!
Should we plan on posting on both forums? stay here? go there? I'm a little confused! I was about to update my sale page as well...
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm not really sure what the plan is...I suppose we'll see what folks have to say & go from there. Like I said, my inclination is to keep this one open & figure we can have 2 forums available for community members to peruse - though I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!
sarafina

Postby sarafina » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:05 pm

MoondancerMilkyWay wrote: It's gracious of you to offer to step down but I hope you do it because you are no longer "needed" in that role and not because you feel badly about what has happened.

Thanks for your concern. :) I'd be stepping down at her forum because if she *is* more active, I wouldn't be needed in that role..but if she *isn't* active again, I just wouldn't be inclined to try adminning there again without any direction from the owner. Trying to do temporary fixes without any real ability to fix things behind-the-scenes (mostly just putting bandaids on problems) was a bit tiring. Plus I would be leery of overstepping my bounds.
sarafina

Postby sarafina » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Quick update: I've deleted the archive & posts pertaining to this forum being a newer version of Misty's...I'm trying to rework it into being its own forum for the time being. :)

Any feedback & ideas are welcome!
sarafina

Postby ibuildabrit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 pm

This is strange to me. I feel so bad for you sarafina! I'm just worried that people will chose one or the other and the community will be split by those who feel more comfortable at the old forum and those who feel comfortable here. It's a mess (and absolutely not your fault Sarafina) I wish Misty had stayed any bit active on the old forum so that we would have known her intentions. I
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby jillrose » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Yeaahhh it is a bit weird if there will be two active forums! I will probably follow on both...but, by moving here, inactive members were more or less weeded out. I'm anxious to see how this all pans out...
Most Wanted: Purple Silky Kitty; crouching tan EU Ride'n'Slide hamster; Baby Buddies pony and duckling
jillrose

Postby sarafina » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:46 pm

I definitely agree that it's a mess, and I feel so badly for having instigated the whole thing - I just figured enough time had passed without knowing what was going on, so I thought it'd be safest to move. I so appreciate your kind words & support - this community is a stress-reliever for most of us, so it really has me bummed that it's currently stressful. I'm at least comforted by the fact that most everyone who participated in the polls shared these concerns, so I don't feel alone at least. I love you all!

Jill - I think you're right that the move itself essentially weeded out the inactive folks. You'll see that since I deactivated the inactive members, the roster here has been cut in half.

Having 2 forums worries me as well, which is why I thought a move would be best. I'm not sure how active Misty will be at the original forum or how that will pan out.

I do honestly feel a bit ill to think that in trying to preserve the community, I may have weakened it. :( But I suppose at the original forum, only a small group was still active anymore anyway.

If anyone has opinions on what their preferences would be in terms of how to handle this as a community, I'd love to hear...as you saw from the million polls I did at the old forum regarding the move, I really feel like it's important for everyone to have a voice in how the community is managed.

Thanks again for being so sweet, everyone - I'm sure we'll be back to stress-free LPS goodness soon. :)
sarafina

Postby LPS-in-Germany » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:31 pm

First of all - you did nothing wrong - like the others have already said. I am so sorry that you came into such a complicate situation, but it was more a decision, made by all members and you were the only one with technical skills and courage to DO IT!

We all had a lot of optimisation proposals - what should we wait for? :(
I personally will adhere to you and to my voting. It is only natural that Misty had a lot to do with her doctoral degree. Unfortunately we couldn't know that. I think such a Forum means a great responsibility...maybe trouble could have been avoided by something like an abscence-notification.

Long story short, there was no notification. On the other hand you took responsibility for us at any time, without being instrusive - even though you were not our Admin. Thank you! :)
"Now I'm not looking for an absolution, forgiveness for the things I do - but before you come to any conclusions,
try walking in my shoes, try walking in my shoes
"

--> Wishlist: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5188
LPS-in-Germany

Postby sarafina » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Aww thanks for all the kind words & support. :) I've always felt so included by everyone in the LPS community, & I'm so grateful for that.

I decided to step down from admin/moderator roles at Misty's forum (but remain there as a member of course), and I'll be keeping this forum open, which Misty said was alright with her. I know that might create some confusion, and my fear with the idea of two forums has always been that it would split the community, but I think it'd be good to have this forum as an option - I can keep the software updated and help to make changes the community wants to see in it (I haven't forgotten about adding more themes, btw!), and I've also passed contact info & references to Leah & Zuse to ensure that they have multiple methods of getting ahold of me (and my husband, just in case). I'm really sorry for any confusion all of this may have caused! I do feel confident that we needed a change, and I do feel that it's really helpful for the forum to have active admins, so I'm trying to focus on the positive change that can come from the confusion. I hope you'll all always feel free to PM me or post here with any thoughts, of course!
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:03 am

though I'm a member both places I definitely feel more comfortable here.
Here I shall stay!
*starts decorating*
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby zuse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:23 pm

The other forum has been down for a few days. I haven't posted lately but was wanting to look at some of my older posts. Alas.
My pandas don't look very nice on the dark background. :-P
zuse

Postby loves toys » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm

I noticed that too! I've been trying it for the past few days and nothing. :(
loves toys

Postby katze016 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Same here. I wanted to reference some old posts on there.

I know Sarafina deleted the archive out of respect when she initially heard back from Misty, but I hope she saved the files for herself. If the old forum really is down for good it would be nice to reinstate the archive here. The thought of all that community history just being gone makes me sad. :(
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby zuse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Looks like it is still down. Wasn't Sarafina the last person in contact with Misty?
My pandas don't look very nice on the dark background. :-P
zuse

Postby loves toys » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am

I think so, but I'm not positive.
loves toys

Postby Alie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 am

If I can give my opinion:
By the past, I did not understand what was going on Misty forum.
I have several times been absent for long periods. (Like everyone, I have phases where I lost a bit interest in my collection, I do not have time or had other priority in my life.) And when I wanted to revisit the forum it seemed in bad shape. I saw horrible Spam appear. Fraudulent members and less and less activity...
As I do not read really good English I do not necessarily understand what was happening and I thought the forum was abandoned and was collapsing ... I was very disappointed about that.
It took time before I discovered your forum Sarafina, (through others members) And I was so relieved to find here old collectors and new ! For me it was the rebirth of our community who seemed to me nearly completely dissolved !

My opinion is the same as the others.
You do not "steal" members to Misty (If this is the uneasiness that troubles you)
For me you acted and help members recover them. I liked the ancient forum. And I like this one as well.
I am a discrete member, who may not come regularly. But I am grateful to Misty, and then to you, to have created these 2 forums. There is no reason to split into two camps because we are the same.
Alie

Postby dIGITS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Is the original forum still down? I can't even remember the url?
I typed in kennerlittlestpetshop.com/forum but that was nothing...
I do hope there are the archived files somewhere?
:?
Is seriously addicted to all things adorable.
dIGITS

Postby jillrose » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:06 am

It is still down; I finally deleted my bookmar though so I no longer know the URL.

I think Sarafina has the archive; it had been posted here at one point.
jillrose

Next

Return to Forum Announcements